In DYCE Job Billing Jobs are used to invoice services. In order for services to be provided and invoiced, it is mandatory that at least one Job for each customer is created in Business Central.
To create a new Job, a new Job Card is created, which is filled with all the necessary information for later processing. The easiest way to create a Job is to use the customers or the contacts overview. The Job action (in the New Document action group) can be used for this purpose.
This way the masterdata will be automatically transferred to the new Job. Alternatively, a Job can also be created using the New action in the lookup of the Job No. field in the sales document cards.
If a Job is created manually (action New in the Job overview), at least the invoice recipient must be explicitly selected. In addition, the existing Jobs are visible in the customers and the contacts overview. Via the fact box Sell-to Sales History (tile Jobs) a particular Job or the one just created can be opened directly.
In addition, Jobs can also be called up either via the Role Center, the navigation menu or via the system-wide search (Alt+Q).
When a new Job is created, an empty Job Card is opened first. You should consider using a manual number series for the Job No., since in many places only the Job No. field is visible. A speaking name instead of a consecutive number can then be advantageous. If the Job Card was created via the customers or contacts overview, the corresponding masterdata fields are already filled. The following steps are necessary to create a Job:
- If necessary, select a customer (in the Bill-to Customer No. field).
- Enter a more detailed description of the Job in the Description field.
- Categorize the Job by selecting a Job Type.
- In the field Time and Travel Model Code a model code for the recording of times for this Job can be stored. This specification is optional.
- The Project Manager can be deposited in the field of the same name via the selection of the users available in the system. From this point on, the Job is automatically displayed in the Role Center part My Jobs of this user. In addition, further responsible persons can be entered in the fields Person Responsible and Salesperson Code. These must have been previously created as a resource or seller with the required information. Both fields are optional entries.
- Autom. Detail Overview printing field causes accompanying details to be automatically added to the invoice when billing for Services or printing a corresponding sales invoice for this Job. The Detail Overview contains details of the invoiced Time Recordings and, if applicable, goodwill times. The indicator can already be set up as a default in the customer templates and can also be activated in the customer card. New Jobs will then adopt the value from the customer. This can be changed manually there however if necessary.
The field Bill-to Customer No. can only be set to another customer as long as no further processing or posting has taken place for the Job.
The lines in the Job Card represent the individual project components (Job Tasks). They show both quantities and values or the Job Ledger Entries cumulatively in the respective columns. By clicking on a field, the details can be viewed.
With DYCE Job Billing Job Tasks can be created both manually or via Sales Orders (actions Create Service Job Tasks or Create other Job Tasks in Process). Job Planning Lines of the type Budget are also created at the same time. These are used in the further course to assign Time Recordings and thus form a decisive part for the billing of services. New Job Tasks that have been created via a sales order are compounded based on the order number. For this purpose, additional Begin-Total and End-Total lines are created for the first Job Task. Further Job Tasks from the same sales order will be sorted accordingly.
In the standard version of Business Central, Job Tasks and Planning Lines can only be created manually. However, this would not only be very inconvenient for recording of times, but this would also mean that the job's components would not be linked to the respective budget from the related sales order. DYCE Job Billing links these two parts together.
When Time Recordings are posted, Job Planning Lines of the type Billable are automatically created. These are used as the basis for billing the services in the next step. If a Job Task is linked to a Sales Line (e.g. in a Sales Order), the posting of the Billable Job Planning Lines is done automatically when invoicing the corresponding Order Line.
The description of the Job Tasks and Job Planning Lines generated via the sales order depend on the descriptions used in the order line, which in turn are based by default on the items used. The display of the Job Tasks in the Job Card is used for controlling purposes and, if necessary, for the administration of the individual Job Planning Lines. Further explanations of Job Tasks and Job Planning Lines can be found in this part of the DYCE documentation.
- Status field shows the current status of the Job. When a new Job is created, the status is always set to Open. However, this can be changed manually. Only open Jobs can be posted to.
The following status options are possible:
|Planning||The Job is in the planning phase. Posting is not possible in planning status.|
|Quote||This status allows you to make preliminary calculations. No posting is possible.|
|Open||All Job control functions can be used and changed if necessary. Postings are only possible in this phase. Sales Invoices and Credit Memos can be used to create customer invoices and credit memos for the individual Job Tasks.|
|Completed||Completed Jobs can no longer be posted. Invoicing is also no longer possible. This step closes the Job. The statistics functions can be used for comparison purposes for completed Jobs, or to facilitate planning for future Jobs. The actual costs of a completed Job can be compared with the planned amounts. This information is useful not only for comparisons, but also as a guideline or default for future Jobs.|
- Job Posting Group determines which General Ledger Entries are posted to when batch processing Post WIP to G/L batch job is run. WIP is used to reconcile expenses and revenues. The field is copied from Jobs Setup when a Job is created.
- In Business Central, WIP and revenue recognition for sales and expenses can basically be calculated in several ways. The distinction is in the selection of the WIP Method for the Job. For more information on WIP methods, please refer to this part of the Microsoft documentation. The field is taken from Jobs Setup when a Job is created.
- WIP Posting Method controls whether the WIP method is applied per Project or per Job Ledger Entries. For the Per Job selection, WIP is calculated by Business Central using total WIP costs and sales. For Per Job Ledger Entry, the summed values for WIP costs and sales are used by Business Central. The field is taken from Jobs Setup when a Job is created.
- The Allow Budget/Billable Lines field must always be set to YES for Jobs in DYCE Job Billing to create one Planning Line of type Budget and one of type Billable. Otherwise, the invoicing of Services is not possible. The field is taken from Jobs Setup when a Job is created.
- Apply Usage Link indicates whether Job Ledger Entries of type Usage are linked to Job Planning Lines. The link should be activated whenever quantities and amounts of remaining work are to be tracked to view a link between demand planning, consumption and sales. The Usage Link is only used for Job Planning Lines of type Budget. This field is usually already predefined with YES and should not normally be changed. The field is taken from Jobs Setup when a Job is created.
The Start Date and End Date can be used to maintain the start and (expected) end of the Job for information purposes. Both entries are optional.